The Virginia Senate has advanced legislation that would allow authorities to take guns away from people deemed dangerous to themselves or others.
What Is A Red Flag Law?
Red flag laws are state laws that are known by various names, including “Extreme Risk Protection Orders (ERPOs),” “gun-violence restraining orders” and “risk warrants.” They allow law enforcement, family members and even medical professionals in some states to petition the court to temporarily remove firearms and ammunition from a person who is believed to present a danger to himself or herself or others.
A judge rules and, if the order is signed, law enforcement confiscates the firearms and ammunition from the person. The person also loses any concealed carry permits he or she may have and is prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms, typically for up to one year.
Opponents of such laws say they violate a basic legal protection in the Constitution — due process, as well as a presumption of innocence until proven guilty. Also, opponents worry that such laws can be abused by people who are motivated for personal reasons and animosity to report someone to authorities as ‘potentially dangerous’ so as to relieve them of their firearms.
- BREAKING: Virginia Governor Declares State Of Emergency And Law Enforcement Is On High Alert
- US Marine And Law Enforcement Officer Send Serious Warning To Politicians In Virginia “Your Mindset Is What Caused Civil War 150 Years Ago”
- BREAKING: Despite Massive Protests, Virginia Democratic Gun-Control Bills Go Full Steam Ahead- Pass First Hurdle
- Virginia Officials Will Not Recognize “2nd Amendment Sanctuary Cities” And Will Take Action Despite Sheriffs And Militias Vowing To Fight Back
- Virginia Governor Sends Direct Threat To Law Enforcement Who Refuse To Enforce Gun Control Laws “There Will Be Consequences”
- As Virginia Escalates Gun Control, The NRA Steps In And Is Handing Out Free 30 Round Magazines According To Statement Just Released
- Virginia Bill Amended Now Will Make You A Felon For Owning Legal Suppressors And The State Is Getting Out Of Control
- BREAKING: Virginia Revises Gun Control Bill To Make It So You Will Be Going To Jail If You Even Own A Magazine They Don’t Approve Of And This Is Insanity
- BREAKING: Virginia Vows To Shut Down All Gun Ranges Not Owned By The Government
Join us at SPREELY if you want REAL NEWS without the leftist censorship!
Also join us at MUMBLIT!
Dean James at Right Wing Tribune