As many as four rockets were launched from the Palestinian controlled Gaza Strip toward Israel on Sunday.
Haaretz, an Israeli news organization, said that three were launched, two were intercepted by the Iron Dome, and one landed.
Three rockets were launched toward Israel from the Gaza Strip on Sunday evening; two were intercepted by the Iron Dome missile defense system, the Israeli military said.
— Amichai Stein (@AmichaiStein1) August 25, 2019
Rocket alerts sounded earlier in the evening in the southern Israeli city of Sderot and in the Sh’ar HaNegev Regional Council bordering the Gaza Strip.
The Israeli military said in a statement that alarms were also activated in the community of Ibim, the Sapir College, and the kibbutzim of Nir Am and Or Haner.
Last Thursday two Gaza rockets were fired toward Israel and landed in open areas. The Israel Air Force struck Hamas targets in the Strip in retaliation. Last Saturday, three rockets were fired from the coastal enclave; the Iron Dome missile defense system intercepted two of them, and shrapnel from one of the rockets hit a home in Sderot. On Friday last week another rocket was intercepted, and the Israeli military struck Hamas posts in the Strip.
The attack comes less than 24 hours after Israel attacked Iranian targets in Syria who, it said, were planning an attack.
Israeli aircraft on Saturday struck Iranian forces near Damascus that had been planning to launch “killer drones” at targets in Israel, an Israeli military spokesman said.
“The strike targeted Iranian Quds Force operatives and Shiite militias which were preparing to advance attack plans targeting sites in Israel from within Syria over the last number of days,” the military said in a statement.
The elite Quds Force is the overseas arm of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards (IRGC). Israeli military spokesman Jonathan Conricus told reporters the forces on Thursday had been preparing to launch “killer drones” armed with explosives at northern Israel.
Israeli aircraft on Saturday struck Iranian forces near Damascus.
"The strike targeted Iranian Quds Force and Shiite militias which were preparing to advance attack plans targeting sites in Israel from within Syria" the military said in a statement.#Israel#Iran #Syria pic.twitter.com/vI99AA9T2y
— Michael Arizanti ❤️???????? (@MArizanti) August 24, 2019
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the military had thwarted the planned Iranian attack.
“Iran has no immunity anywhere. Our forces operate in every sector against the Iranian aggression,” he said on Twitter.
Syrian state media said Syrian air defenses intercepted “hostile targets” over Damascus, the capital, Saturday night.
Witnesses in Damascus said they heard and saw explosions in the sky.
“The aggression is ongoing and air defenses are confronting hostile targets and are downing most of them in the southern region,” state media outlet SANA said, indicating areas south of Damascus.
The Syrian army said in a statement that “the majority of the Israeli missiles were destroyed before reaching their targets.” Conricus, however, said the impact of the Israeli strikes was “significant.”
Israel says it has carried out hundreds of strikes in Syria against Iranian targets trying to establish a permanent military presence there and against advanced weapon shipments to Tehran-backed Lebanese militia Hezbollah.
Iran and Hezbollah are helping President Bashar al-Assad in the eight-year Syria war. Russia, which is also aiding Assad, has largely turned a blind eye to the Israeli air strikes.
Netanyahu spoke with Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday, the Israeli leader’s office said.
On Thursday, Netanyahu hinted of possible Israeli involvement in a series of blasts in the past few weeks that have hit weapon depots and bases belonging to paramilitary groups in Iraq, many of them backed by Iran.
On Wednesday, the PMF, the umbrella grouping of Iraq’s mostly Shi’ite Muslim paramilitary groups, said the United States had allowed four Israeli drones to enter the region accompanying U.S. forces and carry out missions on Iraqi territory.
The U.S.-led coalition, in Iraq to fight remnants of the Islamic State group, dismissed the statement and the Pentagon denied it.
I have directed that our forces be prepared for any scenario. We will continue to take determined and responsible action against Iran and its proxies for the security of Israel.
— Benjamin Netanyahu (@netanyahu) August 24, 2019
This article originally appeared at The Federalist Papers and was republished with permission.
Join us at SPREELY if you want REAL NEWS without the leftist censorship!
Dean James at Right Wing Tribune