Posted by Dean James at Right Wing Tribune
Opinion de Kirsters Baish| Bloomberg has reported that Attorney General William Barr will not be recusing himself from the Jeffrey Epstein child sex trafficking case.
According to Bloomberg, “Barr made the decision on Tuesday after consulting with career ethics officials at the department, said the official, who asked not to be identified discussing a sensitive matter. Barr weighed whether he would have to remove himself from involvement in the case in part because Epstein had previously hired lawyers from the law firm Kirkland & Ellis LLP. Barr served as counsel to the law firm before becoming attorney general. But Barr has recused himself from any retrospective review of the Justice Department’s decision more than a decade ago letting Epstein avoid prosecution on federal sex-trafficking offenses in Florida and the decades of prison time that he could have faced if convicted.”
The news outlet explains that “Labor Secretary Alex Acosta was the top federal prosecutor in southern Florida and approved the widely criticized deal under which Epstein was permitted to plead guilty to two state charges of soliciting a prostitute. He served 13 months in a Florida state prison while being released during the day to conduct business.”
There has been concern from former federal prosecutors regarding the fact that Barr might overstep in the case if he were not to recuse himself. President Trump was once friends with Epstein, calling the leftist a “terrific guy.” On Tuesday, White House adviser Kellyanne Conway told the media that Trump “hasn’t talked to or had contact with Epstein in years and years and years.”
Former federal prosecutor Mimi Rocah penned an op-ed piece for the Daily Beast in which she expressed concern that AG Barr might overstep in the case given his “conduct in the past acting more as a defense attorney for Trump than an overseer of justice.”
Acosta and the deal that was approved by him are now being scrutinized.
A former administration official explained that Acosta will be going up against more and more pressure as new documents are released in the Epstein case, especially if said documents go into what Acosta knew when the plea deal was made.
According to Bloomberg:
Acosta’s standing in the Trump administration was in peril even before the indictment of Epstein cast a fresh spotlight on the former prosecutor’s role in a decade-old plea deal for the financier, according to several people familiar with the matter.
But Conway indicated on Tuesday that the labor secretary still enjoys Trump’s support. “I would go back to who the perpetrator is here; his name is Jeffrey Epstein,” she said.
In postings on Twitter, Acosta said Tuesday, “The crimes committed by Epstein are horrific, and I am pleased that NY prosecutors are moving forward with a case based on new evidence” that “offers an important opportunity to more fully bring him to justice.”
Epstein wants a federal judge to find that sex-trafficking charges against him unsealed Monday in New York are preempted by the plea deal he struck with prosecutors in Florida.
Clinton on Monday released a statement acknowledging that he had taken a total of four trips on Epstein’s plane, but said he “knows nothing” about the “terrible crimes” linked to Epstein.
Trump banned Epstein from his Mar-a-Lago estate “because Epstein sexually assaulted an underage girl at the club,” according to court documents filed by Bradley Edwards, the lawyer who has represented several Epstein accusers.
Join us at SPREELY if you want REAL NEWS without the leftist censorship!
Dean James at Right Wing Tribune
Please take a moment and consider sharing this article with your friends and family. Thank you, we appreciate it!
Facebook Has Banned Us!
The leftists at Facebook decided they didn't like our message, so they removed our page and are censoring us. Help us fight back and subscribe to our newsletter so that you can stay up-to-date with everything Facebook doesn't want you to see!