Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) Islamic State militants have claimed responsibility for a deadly attack on at a former stronghold in western Iraq, their news outlet said.
Amaq News Agency said the group was behind the attack on the town of Tal Afar, a former group bastion which Iraq forces had recaptured in August 2017.
Iraqi security had said earlier on Tuesday that the attack left 2 people dead and 11 wounded. A booby-trapped vehicle was used to carry out the assaut, according to authorities.
Iraq recaptured all of the territories occupied by Islamic State extremists in December 2017, but the group continues to target security and civilians occasionally.
Meanwhile, in Nineveh at least 15 people were killed and wounded Tuesday in a car bomb attack at a marketplace west of Mosul city, a security source was quoted as saying.
“A booby-trapped vehicle went off at Ras Al-Jadah marketplace in Tel Afar district, west of Mosul, leaving three people dead,” the source told Arabic-language Baghdad Today news website.
The source added that the explosion also left 12 people wounded.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Islamic State (ISIS) militant group, in most cases, is responsible for attacks targeting crowded areas, including markets, cafes and mosques across Iraq.
Last month, a total of 41 Iraqi civilians were killed and another 73 injured in acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict in Iraq, according to casualty figures recorded by the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI).
Baghdad was the most affected governorate, with 55 civilian casualties (23 killed, 32 injured), followed by Nineveh (08 killed and 19 injured) and Anbar (40 killed and 15 injured).