A Taliban suicide bomber killed three Czech service members on a foot patrol in eastern Afghanistan on Sunday in an attack that also wounded a U.S. soldier and two Afghan troops, NATO said in a statement, ABC News reports.
The attack happened in the Charikar district of Parwan Province, to the north of Kabul, Lt. Col. Martin O’Donnell, a spokesman for the coalition said.
The Taliban took credit for the attack.
“My thoughts and prayers, along with those of all of the 41-contributing Resolute Support nations, are with the families and friends of our fallen and wounded service members, and our injured Afghan brothers and their families. Their sacrifice will endure in both our hearts and history, and further strengthen our resolve.” ~ U.S. Army Gen. John Nicholson Commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan
Col. Alozai Ahmadi, head of security coordination in Parwan, said those attacked had been on a routine patrol going after suspicious groups in the larger perimeter around the Bagram military base, about five miles from the site of the attack. He said the bomber was young, about 18.
Czech Defense Minister Lubomir Metnar also offered his condolences. The Czechs had recently approved a plan to deploy 390 soldiers in Afghanistan through 2020, up from the current 230, as part of the NATO-led Resolute Support mission.
Last month, the Taliban struck a NATO convoy with a suicide car bomb in the eastern Logar province. The attack killed two civilians and damaged a NATO vehicle.
The Taliban recently attacked a newly constructed district headquarters in the southern Uruzgan province early Saturday, killing four Afghan soldiers, according to Mohammad Maruf Ahmadzai, the provincial police chief. He said nine Taliban fighters were killed in the ensuing gun battle.
Chris “Badger” Thomas is a Veteran who served our country as an Army Combat Medic.