Baghdad, IRAQ — The United Nations on Wednesday expressed condemnation of an armed attack launched by Islamic State militants at a northern Baghdad area, urging Iraqis to remain alert for sleeper militant cells, Iraqi News reports.
U.N. representative in Iraq. Jan Kubis, “strongly condemns the terrorist shootings at Tarmiya north of Baghdad, in which a number of innocent civilians were killed and wounded,” read a statement by the United Nations Assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI).
“Terrorist sleeper cells continue to mount sporadic attacks despite the defeat of their main military structure by Iraqi security forces,” Kubis said. “I call on the authorities and local communities to remain alert to thwart the terrorists”, he added.
Earlier on Wednesday, Baghdad Operations chief, Jalil al-Rubaie, told Alsumaria News that “the security situation in Tarimiya has become secure and under control”, adding that “what happened yesterday in the area was an act of retaliation from Daesh (Islamic State)”.
Security sources were quoted saying late Tuesday that an armed group of Daesh opened fire indiscriminately in Tarimiya, killing seven civilians and wounding 13 others. Islamic State militants reportedly claimed responsibility.
A total of 68 Iraqis were killed and another 122 injured in acts of terrorism, violence and armed conflict in Iraq in April, according to casualty figures recorded by (UNAMI).
On Wednesday, news reports quoted sources as saying that around 60 ISIS members attacked villages in Daquq town, south of Kirkuk.
On Thursday, the media office of Prime Minister Haidar al-Abadi said Iraqi F-16 jets carried out deadly airstrikes against Islamic State locations in Syria from the Iraqi borders side.
Dozens were killed in the attack.
This came after Abadi said on Wednesday that security troops will follow ISIS militants in the whole region, not only in Iraq.
The strikes, according to the statement, were carried out “depending on orders from Haidar al-Abadi, who is the commander-in-chief of the armed forces.”
The statement also added that the strikes “would help expedite the elimination of the ISIS in the region after it was conquered in Iraq.”
Iraq is holding hundreds of foreign wives and children of Islamic State militants who were captured as Iraqi forces gradually seized back territories held by the extremist group since 2014. The government declared victory over ISIS last December, however, observers warn that the group still poses a security threat with sleeper cells.
Authorities say they are coordinating with other countries to extradite those held who are not convicted of terrorism.
Islamic State continues to launch sporadic attacks across Iraq against troops. Security reports indicate that the militant group still poses threat against stability in the country.
Abadi announced, in December, full liberation of Iraqi lands, declaring end of war against ISIS members.
The war against ISIS has so far displaced at least five million people
Facebook Has Banned Us!
The leftists at Facebook decided they didn't like our message, so they removed our page and are censoring us. Help us fight back and subscribe to our newsletter so that you can stay up-to-date with everything Facebook doesn't want you to see!