Democrats should hold the border open for Central American migrants until President Donald Trump agrees to a national amnesty for illegals, says Sen. Chuck Schumer’s former top immigration aide, Breitbart reports.
The open borders plan came from Leon Fresco, an immigration activist now working in D.C. for foreign clients, including tens of thousands of Indian tech-workers. In 2013, Fresco was Schumer’s Democrats’ chief immigration lawyer as they wrote up the disastrous “Gang of Eight” amnesty bill which prompted the public to elect pro-American Donald Trump in 2016. Fresco Tweeted April 1:
“Any admin changes for border surge will be blocked by Courts, and Congress will not enact a 1-sided solution on enforcement … Congress will not pass enforcement-only bill. Such efforts will be tried and will fail. At that point, CIR-type [Comprehensive Immigration Reform] bill possible.”
Fresco made his claim after Trump used Twitter to slam the Mexican government for refusing to stop a march of 1,000-plus central America migrants towards Texas, and to slam the Democratic Party for refusing to close the legal loopholes — including “catch and release” — which allowed at least 400,000 Central Americans migrants into the United States during former President Barack Obama’s eight years in office.
To help educate the American people and lawmakers, FAIR has set forth 40 (We Will List Top 6)reasons why Americans should oppose S.744. We believe this list will illustrate how the Gang of Eight bill does exactly what Americans don’t want and nothing that they do want. Tea Party.org
S.744 does not secure the border or strengthen national security. Instead, the bill rewards lawbreaking and encourages more illegal immigration:
- Allows immigration judges to ignore U.S. immigration law. Section 2313 authorizes
immigration judges to “exercise discretion” to decline to order the alien deported AND terminate proceedings if the judge determines deporting the alien “is against the public interest or would result in hardship to the alien’s U.S. citizen or LPR parent spouse or child…” (Sec. 2313, p. 341)
- Allows the Department of Homeland Security to appoint counsel to illegal aliens fighting deportation at taxpayer expense. (Sec. 3502, p. 583)
- S.744 does not end chain migration, which leads to the admission of large numbers of low- skilled, less educated immigrants. While at first it appears that the bill repeals two family-based categories for admission, it eliminates the effect of doing so by giving family members extra weight in the merit-based immigration program and by including spouses and children of legal permanent residents in the definition of immediate relatives, significantly expanding legal immigration. (Sec. 2301, p. 264; Sec. 2305, p.282)
- S.744 includes the DREAM Act, which puts illegal aliens who entered the U.S. before 16 on a 5- year path to citizenship. However, unlike previous versions of the bill, there is no age limit and DHS may waive the work/study requirement. (Sec. 2103, p. 112)
- S.744 allows states to grant in-state tuition to illegal aliens—not the aliens who receive amnesty, but all illegal aliens who arrive in the future. (Sec. 2103, p. 119)
- S.744 also authorizes DHS to waive a broad array of unlawful behavior for the purpose of determining whether illegal aliens are admissible, including:
- Gang-related crimes and gang membership;
- Three or more drunk driving offenses;
- Domestic violence, stalking, child abuse, and violation of protective orders;
- Committing crimes of moral turpitude;
- Violating federal or state drug laws;
- Trafficking in passports;
- Providing fraudulent immigration services;
- Trafficking immigration documents, including document fraud;
- Misrepresenting a material fact to procure visas or other immigration benefits (if donefor any purpose other than submitting an amnesty application);
- Violating student visas;
- Falsely claiming citizenship; and
- Illegally re-entering the U.S. after deportation (which is a felony); (Sec. 2101, p. 66)
- All other grounds not specifically listed in the bill. (Sec. 2101 INA245B(b)(3)(i), p. 65)
Until Sunday, Trump had offered to approve an amnesty for at least 1.8 million illegals in exchange for closing those loopholes, ending the visa lottery, winding down chain migration and building the border wall. Schumer’s Democratic Senators — and at least ten business-first Republicans — rejected that compromise in a February 15 Senate vote.
“Border Patrol Agents are not allowed to properly do their job at the Border because of ridiculous liberal (Democrat) laws like Catch & Release. Getting more dangerous. “Caravans” coming. Republicans must go to Nuclear Option to pass tough laws NOW. NO MORE DACA DEAL!”
Border Patrol Agents are not allowed to properly do their job at the Border because of ridiculous liberal (Democrat) laws like Catch & Release. Getting more dangerous. “Caravans” coming. Republicans must go to Nuclear Option to pass tough laws NOW. NO MORE DACA DEAL!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) April 1, 2018
After President Trump tweeted on Easter Sunday to an immediate stop to ANY DACA deals, Fresco took to twitter to respond:
“What POTUS will find after today’s tweets is that any admin changes for border surge will be blocked by Courts, and Congress will not enact a 1-sided solution on enforcement. Even though POTUS currently says “no deal,” the chances for [an amnesty] deal now higher.
If border surge happens this spring, POTUS has limited options. Courts blocked everything Obama did to stop 2014 surge. POTUS needs Congress [to get around courts]. But Congress will not pass enforcement-only bill. Such efforts will be tried and will fail. At that point, CIR-type [Comprehensive Immigration Reform] bill possible.
and by CIR-type bill, I am just saying that DACA alone for what is needed on the border will likely not be supported by Dems. That type of trade will only work in something larger (and that something larger would, of course, need to include backlog relief). All will depend on..
…Whether POTUS wants to pass laws to provide more authority to address illegal immigration or whether he thinks he can survive a border surge by simply blaming Dems. We will all find out together.”
Leon Fresco’s threats comes as a group of more than 1,500 Central Americans, mostly young men, are marching through Mexico to ask for asylum at the Texas border.
Beautiful: Immigration agents abandoned their posts as 1,500 people on Refugee Caravan, mainly from Honduras, crossed into Mexico from Guatemala yesterday with goal to reach US (video via
Beautiful: Immigration agents abandoned their posts as 1,500 people on Refugee Caravan, mainly from Honduras, crossed into Mexico from Guatemala yesterday with goal to reach US (video via @pueblosf) pic.twitter.com/QsduFwN747
— Scott Campbell (@incandesceinto) March 26, 2018
Chris “Badger” Thomas is a Veteran who served our country as an Army Combat Medic.
TOGETHER WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!